
VETTAYADU VILAYADU ( Prey n Play)
One more Gautham Menon Cop story..Or should I call it , 'yet another episode in a police officer's life'.. I finally saw this movie today after all the hype it had created, I downloaded the movie from the college's website server room. The whole movie was downloaded in an hour.Finally I got the movie...went to my room and played it rite away..before I saw this movie, I got mixed reviews abt this movie..The majority of them felt the movie was 'Hollywood' stuff and all...and the other people(not many) felt the movie was too gory and didnot deserve the accolades which it receives..
With these reviews in my mind, I start the movie..The intro was very ordinary,to an extent even comical...It was the regular cop entrance...Entering the gangster's house(even the kickin the gate and enterin style).Nothing was special,but for kamal's madras bashai in the scene.The dialogues arent of the usual kamal calibre...What I find is that,the actor has given so much freedom to the director that he has just played what the director asked him to...Kamal,I feel has not offered creative advices to the movie..he just stuck to his role of an actor in the movie and has done justice to that.
After the intro fight n song( a la vijay movies), the story begins with the kidnapping of Prakashraj's (another cop) Daughter,Kamal investigates only to find her bisected body..
Kamal has great respect for Prakashraj for all that he has done for kamal. So he sets out to find the killer ... Prakashraj leaves for America, only to be murdered there ..kamal goes to new york and finds that a serial killer is behind all this..Lev gorn plays anderson who plays NYPD cop,Anderson.(I v seen this guy in a De niro movie dont remember which one)..Lev n kamal track down the killer and find that it was infact not a serial killer but serial killers...
Kamal meets jyothika in new york,falls in love..She is the NRI gal, innocent divorcee with a baby gal.The romance goes on side by side while the killers are on a spree..Yeah I forgot,I think there were a coupla scenes starring a new gal wth kamal,she is kamal's 1st wife and is killed by a bunch of gangsters..the movie goes on like 'Kaaka kaaka',The only difference is that this time its a coupla psycopathic homosexual serial killers unlike 'kaaka kaaka'.One of those killers acted as Pandya in 'Gharshana'(A Dumb telugu version of kaaka kaaka)..the movie moves on fast n furious, The killing spree continues in chennai..The killers even number their victims just to show that they are 'serial' killers.(Pathetic!!)..Finally,As expected the heroine is kidnapped and hero kills both the guys...
This movie was so like kaaka kaaka...The voice of the killers also sounded similar to that of Pandya....But Pandya was amazing with his expressive body language(though he was meant to be mean and vulgar)..These guys seem to resemble the two three sidekicks who come with surya in kaaka kaaka.(Trivia: One of them is named Ilamaran which incidentally is the name of one of surya's sidekicks)
In spite of its slick Title, nice music , Kamal hassan ..As, a kamal fan,I was disappointed by the movie ..I was even more disappointed to find that there were no. of ppl who loved the movie and called it "hollywood like".. I wouldn't call it bad but it is nothing more than a stereotype tamil cop movie with a bit more blood and some 'mega serial' killing..
Rating : 42/100
Uttara's review of the same movie..

2 Comments:
The movie wasn't too bad, but much of KK style. kamal's lingo was rockin humourous. But look at the way he calculates silly things to show he is a detective.Anyway there's too much trivia in this movie(like the one you pointed about Illamaran), that you can open a trivia section IMDB style(and a goof section too)
The voice of Pandya and the voice of Ilamaran belongs to Gautam Menon.
Post a Comment
<< Home